Best Podcasts of July 2017
The month may be over, but the episodes are still there for you to listen to! I publish the best podcast episodes of the week every week on Friday – you can find those episodes and my reasoning behind why they’re great by going here to see an archive of those posts. But I also wanted to curate a list of the handful of episodes that simply rose to the very top over the whole month, the ones I’m still thinking about weeks later.
Here are the best podcast episodes (and a list of the podcasts that appeared on my Delicious Ingredients list more than once this month) from July 2017 – the best of the best.
If you’re interested in seeing what I listen to, I have a running log by month. I also have a newsletter that comes out every other week which is a bit more editorial than the site – you can find it here.
Best Episodes of July 2017
- Fruit, Episode 1: 1st 10 (7/17/17): What it’s about: “X joins his friend Siya, a junior sports agent, on a rare night out. While out, he has an encounter, that will affect his life and the game.”
- Reply All, Episode 102: Long Distance (7/27/17): What it’s about: “This week, a telephone scammer makes a terrible mistake. He calls Alex Goldman.”
- Out of the Blocks: 7200 Harford Road (7/3/17): What it’s about: “7200 Harford Road is about as far north and east as you can get and still be in Baltimore City. It’s tucked just inside the county line, and downtown feels far-off when you’re out here. On this block, MMA fighters train at American Muy Thai, customers get perms at Umberto’s Hair Salon, folks line up for Italian and German specialties at the counters of Mastellone’s Deli and Mueller’s Delicatessen, and the 112-year-old Fenwick Bakery sells homemade marshmallow donuts.”
- Love Me: The Other Side (7/10/17): What it’s about: “Mo and Tamim find themselves in the Jungle for very different reasons. When their paths cross, they develop an unexpected connection.”
- Varmints!, Episode 42: Cockroaches (7/20/17): What it’s about: “Yuck. Varmints! podcast talks about those yucky, blechy, icky-poo, nasty little critters, cockroaches. Blech. Come along and enjoy them intellectually with us.”
- Q’ed Up: Home-Less: The Shape-Shifter (7/6/17): What it’s about: “James de la Nueve: it’s a new name for a fresh start. He really messed up his life in the last few years – kicked out of college, kicked out of the house – and he was ready to start again, and get it right this time. But he was going to have to do it from the streets. Going to calculus class, studying at the library, all the while pretending, for the sake of his classmates and professors, that he’s not homeless. “I’m going hard at school,” he says, “but at the same time I have to deal with, just, keeping myself alive.” James is like a modern day Jay Gatsby, born to a poor family, but striving for greatness. He’s on a mission to transform himself. But the new identities he’s creating – sometimes James himself can’t keep track.”
- Homecoming, Episode 7: Terminated (7/19/17) What it’s about: In case you’ve never listened to it, it’s “A psychological thriller from Gimlet Media, starring Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, and David Schwimmer.” This episode: “I’m talking about very light pressure. Very discreet. I know who to call, totally professional guys.”
- 30 for 30 Podcasts: A Queen of Sorts (7/18/17): What it’s about: “In 2012, poker star Phil Ivey pulled off an elaborate baccarat scheme that won him over $20 million and landed him in court. But Ivey had another card up his sleeve — a secretive mastermind named “Kelly” Cheung Yin Sun, who crafted the scheme to get revenge. A Queen of Sorts dives into the world of high stakes gambling, and what happens when a casino underestimates an Asian woman.”
- Regrets of the Dying: Katie (6/27/17) *First appearance on Delicious Ingredients*: What it’s about: “Katie Scarbrough died at the age of 32. Here, we bring to life the blog she wrote as the wife and mother of two battled terminal bowel cancer.”
Best Podcasts of July 2017
(multiple appearances on weekly Delicious Ingredients including Honorable Mentions)
- 30 For 30 Podcasts
- Q’ed Up
- Between Us Girls
- Regrets of the Dying