The OUTSIDE Podcast Debuts Two Special Series on Diversity and Inclusivity in the Outdoors
Santa Fe, NM (April 10, 2018) — The Outside Podcast, in partnership with award-winning media company PRX, today launched the first of two special series that further OUTSIDE’s company-wide effort to tell more inclusive stories about the world of adventure.
In the first series, OUTSIDE contributor and NPR correspondent Stephanie May Joyce profiles remarkable women from the worlds of adventure, sports and conservation. The line-up includes:
- Kris Tompkins, former CEO of Patagonia
- Alexi Pappas, world-class distance runner and beloved cult figure in the track and field community
- Sarah Gerhardt, the first woman to ride waves at Mavericks, the infamous break on the Northern California coast
- Kellee Edwards, the second African American woman to have a show on the Travel Channel
In the second series, James Mills, author of OUTSIDE’s May 2018 magazine cover story “This is What Adventure Looks Like” and of the 2014 book The Adventure Gap, talks with leaders who are fighting to make the outdoors a more inclusive playground. This series includes interviews with:
- Mikhail Martin, co-founder of Brothers of Climbing, a community in New York City that encourages fellowship among people of color in all aspects of modern alpinism
- Ayesha McGowan, on track to be the first female African American professional cyclist and founder of aquickbrownfox.com which shares stories of people of color riding bikes.
- Knox Robinson, founder of the Black Roses NYC, a diverse group of passionate urban runners
- Shelma Jun, founder of Flash Foxy, which celebrates women climbers through stories and shared experiences
“OUTSIDE is committed to telling stories that present the true breadth of perspectives and personalities in the world of adventure,” said Michael Roberts, Executive Editor of OUTSIDE. “As a leading magazine brand in podcasting, we are thrilled to continue with this effort in audio. These two series offer inspiring narratives about members of communities that have been historically neglected by outdoor media.”
For more information or to schedule an interview with an OUTSIDE editor or podcast producer, contact Kailey McGarvey at 646-695-7046 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUTSIDE is America’s leading active lifestyle brand. Since 1977, OUTSIDE has covered travel, sports, adventure, health, and fitness, as well as the personalities, the environment, and the style and culture of the world Outside. The OUTSIDE family includes OUTSIDE magazine, the only magazine to win three consecutive National Magazine Awards for General Excellence, The Outside Buyer’s Guides, Outside Online, the Outside Podcast, Outside Television, Outside Events, Outside+ App, Outside tablet edition, Outside Books, and Outside GO, a revolutionary, 21st-century adventure-travel company. Connect with OUTSIDE online, on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.